Exploring the ecological and environmental impacts of discarding in Icelandic Demersal fisheries using modelling techniques.
MINOUW partner & Lead scientist:
UI (University of Iceland), Gunnar Stefánsson
Fishing method and species:
Bottom trawl, long line and gillnets. Species targeted are Cod, Haddock, Saithe, Greenland Halibut and other codfish.
What is the discards problem?
Discarding of undersized fish does exist in Icelandic waters despite a discard ban. The discard rates have been estimated to be low, between 1% and 2% of the total catch for cod and haddock.
What activities is the MINOUW project carrying out?
- Evaluating if light technology can be used to reduce by-catch.
- Developing an ecosystem model for Icelandic waters using the Atlantis modelling framework.
- Including discards and economic components in this model.
- Running different discarding scenarios using the Atlantis model.
What outcomes are expected?
- Develop better understanding of the ecological and economic impacts of discarding in the Icelandic demersal fisheries by using the Atlantis model.
PDFs summaries of results can be downloaded here once they are available.